Our invitation to you...
A phenomenal course, a real must for any movement teacher or therapist in Yoga, Pilates, Fitness or Dance, but it is also open to all movement practitioners.
However, anyone can attend this Part 2 practical course, even if you have not attended one of the theoretical courses before. Of course, having attended one or both of the theory courses before would give you excellent knowledge and more complete understanding.
Regardless, just show up. In this special first time course you will gain an embodied sense of bringing healing and balance into your whole system from feet to head, with specific therapeutic exercises for each part of the body.
Description of the Retreat
During this 5-day retreat dedicated to therapy for various injuries and pathologies, we will take an innovative, totally practical approach to healing the body. We will be called to understand our body’s anatomy, inch by inch, to feel, move, bring into balance and health the different parts of the body from feet to head, while inviting balance to our body-mind constitution as a whole. We will learn therapeutic methods and techniques for different pains and injuries. We will touch our body, and move our feet, spine, arms and legs, neck and head, consciously, while exploring therapeutic exercises from a wide Yoga and Pilates repertoire.
We will be called to practice and teach therapeutic exercises in partner settings, so we can truly experience the application of the techniques. We will practice Therapeutic Yoga in the morning and Therapeutic Pilates in the afternoon. In each session there will be a part where we move in an embodied way, with a felt sense of our body and each body part separately, and as a whole. We will imagine the presence of an injury and work with therapeutic movement on ourselves first, and then proceed by teaching these techniques to our partner.
This course is a must for any movement teacher or therapist, but it is also open to all movement practitioners.
Before and after these intensive practice sessions, you can enjoy yourselves in the beautiful retreat setting of Zen Rocks, content and surrounded by olive trees, blue skies, and seas.
A few words about Mani...
The area of southern Peloponnese known as “The Mani’ is a very special place. Its location on the edges of southern Europe, its tempestuous history and its natural beauty, all combine to give the visitor an exceptional experience.The Retreat is located about 30 minutes south of the city of Kalamata, in a quiet olive grove amidst a stunning nature spread of olive groves and rocky terrain. Kalamata is about a 2-2.5 hour drive from Athens on the Southern tip of the Peloponnese. Kalamata’s location marks the beginning of the incredible Mani, a peninsula stemmed by the magnificent Taygetos Mountain range, which also features some of the most picturesque seaside small towns, variegated beaches, byzantine churches, medieval Towers, and traditional stone-housed mountain villages.
16-21 September, 2022
This course is a follow up to Samantha’s very popular BASI Pilates: “Pilates for Injuries and Pathologies” course, offering the practical aspect of understanding our body anatomy, and working through movement to bring healing to areas that are injured, stiff, or experiencing any kind of imbalance and discomfort.
Each day we will be focusing on a specific part of the body from the ground up. Yoga Therapeutics practice in the morning will include a brief overview of anatomy, an embodied yoga practice that encompasses the whole body, and then focus on Therapeutics for the particular body part, with practicing techniques on our own, and partner practice where we teach the techniques to each other.
Pilates practice in the afternoon will work in a similar way. For each body part, we will focus on the exercises that bring balance and healing to the specific area, and in regards to specific ailments.
Attending the BASI Pilates: “Pilates for Injuries and Pathologies, Part 1” with Samantha Wood , and/or Vivi’s Course #303 on Subtle Anatomy & Therapeutics, is not an absolute must, but these two courses provide an excellent foundation to this practical retreat focusing on therapeutics.
Together the aforementioned courses constitute a great body of knowledge and practical experience for any movement practitioner or teacher interested in whole body well-being and rebalancing injury and trauma affected areas.
- Day 1 Lower Body
- Day 2 Hips, Pelvic bowl, Lumbar Spine
- Day 3 Shoulder Complex and some Cervical spine
- Day 4 Spine and arms
Early: 1,090€, Before June 1, 2021
Regular: 1,240€ after June 2, 2021
Short Biography of the Teachers
About Samantha Wood
Author, Licensed Physical Therapist, BASI Pilates Associate Faculty,
Yoga Alliance Certified Teacher, National Pilates Certified Teacher (NPCT)
Samantha Wood, MPT, MBA, PMA-CPT, RYT, is a licensed physical therapist, a National Pilates Certified Teacher (NPCT), a Yoga Alliance–certified teacher, and an associate faculty member for BASI Pilates. She has been a member of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) since 1997 and of the Pilates Method Alliance (PMA) and Yoga Alliance since 2010. She is the owner of The Cypress Center in Pacific Palisades, California, where she and her staff integrate Pilates with physical therapy for people of all ages and abilities. Her clinical expertise includes Pilates-based rehabilitation, yoga therapy, orthopedics, sports therapy, and functional rehabilitation.
Wood received her bachelor’s degree in exercise science from USC in 1991, where she worked as a student athletic trainer with athletes from all sports, specializing in volleyball, football, and track. After graduation she worked as a fitness instructor for Golden Door Spa aboard Cunard cruise ships. Two years later she earned a master of physical therapy (MPT) degree from Western University of Health Sciences. She also holds an MBA from the University of Southern California (USC). She has worked with many celebrities and professional athletes; while at HealthSouth in Arizona, she was the physical therapist for the Phoenix Suns, Phoenix Coyotes, Phoenix Mercury, and Arizona Rattlers.
Wood began her Pilates studies in 2001 with Rael Isacowitz and has attended many of Isacowitz’s advanced courses, including the prestigious Legacy Program. She created and teaches two advanced education courses for BASI Pilates: “Pilates for Injuries and Pathologies” (for Pilates teachers) and “Pilates: Integration Into Therapeutic Practice” (for rehabilitation professionals). She has been presenting these courses, in addition to offering other workshops and lectures at Pilates conferences around the world, since 2010.
Samantha has been featured in the “Ask the Expert” column in Pilates Style magazine.
Her recent book, “Pilates for Rehabilitation” is available on Amazon. Link here
About Vivi Letsou, Creator of Abhaya Yoga
Bachelor of Science, Master of Arts, Yoga Senior Educator,
Vivi is a strong and charismatic Yoga teacher and educator, and a passionate creator of innovative projects. In Greece she is known as “the teacher of teachers” for many wonderful yogins and yoga teachers. Having taught in the traditions of Ashtanga, Anusara, and Vinyasa Yoga, Vivi finally created Abhaya Yoga—a style that combines dynamic asana with strong alignment, vinyasa flow, and an empowering transformational philosophy rooted in Tantra and Buddhism. Abhaya Yoga is strongly focused on therapeutics, providing effective tools for healing trauma and finding our wholeness as complete and confident human beings.
Vivi’s greatest joy is to share this empowering path with others, acting as a mirror for people to discover and embody their power, beauty, and hidden potential. Through Yoga and the intimate environment of a training, Vivi loves to witness this catalytic prosses at work, where the individual and the team are mutually uplifted.
Abhaya Yoga motto: “Empowerment through Yoga. Experience it. Teach it.”
Have a question?
All our retreats aim to create a nurturing and welcoming environment for all levels of practice and all student needs. All programs offer the opportunity for a dose of daily good exercise through yoga or pilates, walks in nature and/or swimming in the sea, and both restorative and meditation practice. A weekly program offers a complete experience of well-being. Our teachers are highly experienced and skilled. If a program seems enticing to you, it is probably the one you need. Make a bold step and trust it: Go for it!
Book early, as soon as you know the retreat you are interested in, and your schedule. Click here to send us your questions or to register. Link: REGISTER
We would be happy to help arrange your transfer from Athens or Kalamata to Zen Rocks.
The retreat is located about 30 minutes south of the city of Kalamata, in a quiet olive grove amidst sea and blue skies. The closest village to us is Kalianeika, about one kilometer from us. There is airport access both from Athens Airport (3 hours from ZR) and from Kalamata Airport (30-40min from ZR).
-Flights to Athens International Airport (ATH) and transportation to Zen Rocks
All major airlines fly to Athens international airport, called Eleftherios Venizelos. Zen Rocks is about a 2.5-3 hours’ drive from Athens. We can arrange a private transport for you and/ or your group or you can rent a car to drive yourself to Zen Rocks. The ride is beautiful, and you can enjoy a direct ride along the new Athens-Kalamata highway, or you can make stops in places like the sites of Ancient Mycenae, Ancient Nemea, the city of Nafplion, and the town of Kalamata.
-Flights to/from Kalamata (KLX)
More and more there are direct and/or charter flights to the small airport of Kalamata from different European cities. Also, new 30 minutes flights have just started from Athens to Kalamata regional airport are very reasonably priced if booked well in advance.
Alternatively, you can fly to Kalamata from the northern Greek town of Thessaloniki.
-Transportation options while in Greece
The way to reach Zen Rocks is either with our luxurious Mini Van for 8 people or by renting a car from Athens or Kalamata and drive around on your own. Our office can assist you with your car rental reservation. Or you can make your booking directly. During your stay at Zen Rocks our minivan is available for hire along with an experienced driver. The rates for transfers with our minivan are in the attached document titled: ZenRocksRates.
Allow us to book your transfer from Athens or Kalamata. Simply email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The retreat is located about 30 minutes South of the city of Kalamata, in a quiet olive grove amidst the sea and blue skies. The closest village to us is Kallianeika.
1. Drive on the new freeway from Athens to Kalamata, and be prepared to stop frequently for tolls. Expect to pay around 15€ each way. It may take you 2-2.5 hours to reach Kalamata.
2. Stay on the freeway and exit Kalamata heading towards Areopolis and Kitries. After the freeway ends, you will pass Lidl, and a café called Cosi on the right, and then the road forks and you see a road sign. At this point you have the option of heading up towards the mountain towards Areopolis and Kardamyli, or taking a right towards the sea and Kitries. You can reach us either way. We are giving you directions through the coastal road here, as it may be easier to find our location this way.
3. Take a right towards Kitries and drive down the coast for about 10-15 minutes. Right as you approach Kitries, the road goes uphill. There is a big retaining wall right in front of you, causing you to almost stop. You see a road sign for Doloi.
4. Make a sharp left up the mountain towards Doloi.
5. Drive for 5 minutes until you reach the village of Kalianeika.
6. When you reach Kalianeika, stop in front of the church and set your odometer to 0.
7. Drive for one kilometer, and you will come to switch back turn where you will see a fence with big cacti and a huge rock. You are getting close.
8. Immediately afterwards, you see a second switch back turn and a couple small signs for Zen Rocks. At this point leave the asphalt road and enter a smaller cement farm road. Drive 200 meters on cement, and then another 400 meters of dirt road. At this point you will see the electrical posts and a cement road up on your left. This is our private drive way to Zen Rocks.
(Attention: our drive way is the SECOND paved road you see on your left. Do not take the first one, right where the cement ends… wait till you drive the extra 400 meters of dirt and pebble road and you come across the electrical wires and big posts… at this point you will also notice that the farm road you are on is covered with the cement of our paved drive way.)
9. Go left on our cement road. It is a sharp incline. Come up on first gear and full throttle. Small cars will do fine if you know how to drive fearlessly.
10. Welcome to Zen Rocks.
As Zen master Thich Nhat Hahn says: YOU HAVE ARRIVED!
Το Zen Rocks Mani βρίσκεται σε απόσταση περίπου 30 λεπτών Νότια από τη πόλη της Καλαμάτας, ανάμεσα σε ήσυχους ελαιώνες, τον ουρανό και τη θάλασσα! Το κοντινότερο χωριό είναι τα Καλλιανέικα.
1. Πάρτε τη νέα εθνική οδό απο την Αθήνα προς τη Καλαμάτα οπου θα χρειαστεί να σταματήσετε συχνά σε σταθμούς διοδίων. Υπολογείστε οτι το συνολικό κόστος των διοδίων θα ειναι 15€ η διαδρομή. Η απόσταση ειναι περιπου 2-2.5 ώρες απο την Αθήνα μέχρι να φτάσετε στη Καλαμάτα.
2. Μείνετε στην εθνική οδό και βγείτε στην έξοδο της Καλαμάτας με κατεύθυνσή προς Αρεόπολη και Κιτριές. Όταν τελειώσει η εθνική οδός, θα συναντήσετε ένα σούπερ μάρκετ Lidl και μια καφετέρια στα δεξιά σας που ονομάζεται Cosi. Σε εκείνο το σημείο ο δρόμος χωρίζεται και θα δείτε μια πινακίδα. Σε αυτό ακριβώς το σημείο, έχετε την επιλογή είτε να συνεχίσετε προς το βουνό με κατεύθυνση προς Αρεόπολη και Καρδαμύλη είτε να πάρετε το δρόμοι που είναι στα δεξιά σας που πάει μέσω του παραλιακού δρόμου στις Κιτριές. Όποιο δρόμο και να πάρετε μπορείτε να έρθετε στο Zen Rocks Mani. Εμείς παρακάτω σας δίνουμε οδηγίες από το παραλιακό δρόμο μιας και θεωρούμε ότι είναι ο πιο εύκολος δρόμος για να έρθετε.
3. Κάνετε δεξιά προς Κιτριές και οδηγείτε στο παραλιακό δρόμο για περίπου 10-15 λεπτά. Στο σημείο που έχετε φτάσει σχεδό στις Κιτριές, ο δρόμος έχει μια ανηφόρα. Στο σημείο αυτό υπάρχει ένας μεγάλος τοίχος μπροστά σας που σας αναγκάζει σχεδόν να σταματήσετε. Εκεί βλέπετε μια πινακίδα προς Δολούς.
4. Εκεί αριστερά προς το βουνό με κατεύθυνση προς Δολούς.
5. Οδηγείστε προς τα επάνω αυτόν τον δρόμο με τις στροφές, για 5 λεπτά μέχρι να βρείτε το χωριό Καλιανέϊκα.
6. Όταν φτάσετε στα Καλιανέϊκα, σταματήστε μπροστά από την εκκλησία και ρυθμίστε το μετρητή χιλιομέτρων σας στο 0.
7. Οδηγείστε για 1 χιλιόμετρο και θα δείτε μια στροφή φουρκέτα, η οποία σας φέρνει προς τα δεξια. Εκεί θα δείτε ένα φράχτη με μεγάλους κάκτους και ένα τεράστιο βράχο. Πλησιάζετε!
8. Αμέσως μετά βλέπετε μια ακόμα στροφή φουρκέτα που στρίβει τον δρόμο προς τα αριστερά. Θα δείτε δύο μικρές πινακίδες για το Zen Rocks. Σε αυτό το σημείο αφήνετε το ασφαλτοστρωμένο δρόμο και μπαίνετε προς τα δεξιά σε έναν μικρό αγροτικό δρόμο από τσιμέντο.
Οδηγείστε για 200 μέτρα στο τσιμεντένιο επαρχιακό δρόμο και άλλα 400 μέτρα σε χωματόδρομο. Ακολουθήστε τις πινακίδες για να μην μπείτε στον ελαιώνα που είναι πριν από εμάς. Περιμένετε να δείτε το σημείο με την πινακίδα του Zen Rocks να δείχνει τον ανηφορικό ιδιωτικό τσιμεντένιο δρόμο στα αριστερά σας. Είναι που θα σας φέρει στο κατάλυμα.
Σε αυτό το σημείο και μόνο θα δείτε και τους στύλους της ΔΕΗ να ανεβαίνουν προς τα πάνω.
9. Κάντε αριστερά σε αυτόν τον τσιμεντένιο δρόμο. Έχει έντονη ανηφορική κλίση, οπότε βάλτε πρώτη ταχύτητα για να ανεβείτε. Ακόμα και μικρά αυτοκίνητα ανεβαίνουν άνετα. Είναι λίγο σα να ανεβαίνετε ίσια πάνω στον ουρανό, στα σύννεφα… Απογειώνεστε λοιπόν.
10. 5 Δευτερόπτα μετά: Καλώς ορίσατε στο Zen Rocks Mani. Χαλαρώστε και απολαύστε τη διαμονή σας!
Όπως λέει και ο δάσκαλος του Ζεν Thich Nhat Hahn: You have arrived! Pause. Enjoy!
Let us know about your needs and preferences and we can pre-arrange the perfect nurturing massage or related therapy session for you.